Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Thanksgiving Plans




Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday and this year I convinced my mom it was my turn to plan everything for it and when I started planning it my little type A heart got all giddy. I mean I probably have about 5 different lists for Thursday. Theres a timeline of days leading up to Thursday of what I'm baking and cooking when, my grocery shopping lists organized by what to get at what store (it took over 4 hours to get everything) and maybe a drawing or two of how I'm designing pies. So after all this planning I thought I'd share some of the recipes I'll be making Thursday.
Firstly for breakfast Thursday morning I'll be making this cake with my leftover apples. These yummy parkerhouse rolls, coleslaw, succotash, stuffing, mashed potatoes (all simple not really recipe recipes from my mom and grandmom) those are sides we always include in our thanksgiving menu. I've decided to add to our normal sides and also make these carmelized brussel sprouts and glazed carrots (cant find the recipe online but if you all want it i'll post it later) and then mini pies for everyone in their favorite flavors. I think its been narrowed down to 2 pecan, 2 pumpkin, 1 cherry and my favorite 2 apple cranberry pies. Writing it all out makes it seem more daunting now but I think I'll be able to successfully complete everything with my awesome timeline and killer jams (ben rector, amos lee, avett brothers)

now onto just peachy's top 5 tuesday
Just Peachy



1. The food
I dont know if you could tell from all the plans discussed above but I really love the food aspect of Thanksgiving. Like really love it. It maybe because I'm a culinary student but even before that I always looked forward to it.

2. The traditions
In my family we all have different things we make on Thanksgiving, my dad and I always make the mashed potatoes together and I always eat the most of them out of all my family, my mom always makes her stuffing and my brothers usually make broccoli and cheese which has sadly been cut this year. Also we have to have tomato juice to drink even though my dad is the only one who drinks it, its just something we always have. Lastly succotash which I thought was a universal thing on thanksgiving but after recent research which yes I did for fun, I learned its a north eastern kinda thing. It yummy and you should all check it out.

3. Being in the kitchen with my family
Yes this too probably has to do with the fact that I'm a culinary student,I love being in the kitchen, it's probably my favorite room in the house. Being in the kitchen cooking with my family is even more fun.

4. Post turkey naps
I probably take a half hour to hour nap between turkey time and eating dessert and its always the best nap I take all year.

5. Mouse on the Maylower
Mouse on the Mayflower is probably the best and only Thanksgiving movie out there. My children will watch this one day. We watched it every year when we were little and now have started watching it again.

Hope you enjoyed this excessively long post on Thanksgiving if youre still reading it after my crazed menu planning.

** dont forget to sign up for my first giveaway!

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like a lot of fun! I can't wait to plan my own Thanksgiving. . . but mostly I can't wait to eat on Thursday! Oh my god, I love food. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! Thanksgiving at your house sure sounds exciting! I am envious of your cooking skills and can't wait to hear how all of your food turns out for Thanksgiving! I love Parkerhouse rolls and the brussel sprouts sound delicious (I would love to have a good recipe for them!)

    I have never seen Mouse on the Mayflower, but it sounds like it would be right down my ally! I'll have to check it out!

    I hope you have a fun time in the kitchen getting things ready!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving!! That picture made me smile:) Plan away, Type-A!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. great post! loved that photo with the dogs haha. hope you had a good t-giving!

    -Erica
    http://allaboutitt.blogspot.com/
    http://ericasmolin.chloeandisabel.com/

    ReplyDelete

reading your comments makes my day a little brighter :)